Sunday, January 2, 2011

What do I have in my pocket?

One of the major projects I undertook this holiday season, besides relaxing like it was actually a thing to do, was to make a few pocket squares for myself. This was inspired by one or more of the menswear blogs I read regularly (I do not remember which, or I would point you, Gentle Reader, in the right direction). Luckily, my mother is a relatively accomplished seamstress, and so, I had plenty of guidance.  In addition, as I had discussed this possibility with her previously, my Christmas presents included some lovely flannel with which to begin.


More photos (close-ups and details included) after the jump...


Clearly, the process begins with cutting. I'm in love with my mother's scissors. As she prefers a more modern pair, she has offered this pair to me. I've graciously accepted, as I hope to sew more in the future..


In all, I made three squares out of the flannel. The middle one below, the blue, is actually a repurposed shirt that no longer fit me, or anyone, and was worse for the wear in any case...


My hems, sewn by machine, are a bit large. It is, Gentle Reader, my first time. Be gentle...



Bolstered by my success with the hemming of a few simple squares, I attempted something a little more difficult. I tried for a pocket quilt, which I first saw reblogged, but which originated at St. Liberty, where they retail for $29.00.  I opted for a simple pattern, large triangles, in the three flannels. Rough cuts:


 Sewing them together, on the back side:



As a backing, I opted for a fabric my mother had lying around, some sort of yellow-gold with a subtle leaf print. Since there was enough for two backs and two more squares, I went ahead and sewed two simple squares out of the fabric. I cut one larger than the other, His and Hers, perhaps...



I decided that for the hem of the pocket quilt, I'd want the backing to show on the front side...



I contemplated doing the quilting on the machine (which I used for the hems, admittedly), but decided to go ahead with hand stitching. I figured it couldn't hurt, and I have no machine of my own anyway.

 

Some close ups of the stitches. Not as even as it could be, but I'm happy with my first try...





The finished product is quite nice, although it is bulky for a pocket square. I'll need to try it out in everyday life to see if it works. As a proof of concept, however, I'm very pleased...


Overall, my sewing resulted in a rather large collection of hand made squares, including one quilted, and one to be quilted at my leisure...



And that is what I sewed during my holiday season.  None of it is perfect, but its not bad for a start.