Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Made me some pie...

Guests tonight, and with a left over pie crust from my adventures in tourtière making, I decide a Lemon Meringue Pie was in order. Where I come from, lemon pies are generally, but not exclusively, made from Sheriff's Lemon Pie Mix. I'm not judging, but I prefer to make mine from scratch. And so I did. And the results were quite good, I should think.


Come on in for more pictures...

Real lemon pie calls for lemon zest. Zesting a lemon is a happy affair, really. All that citrus oil being vaporized. Smells fantastic. And I appreciate the subtle resistance the lemon puts up as the teeth of the grater bite in. Subtle, but pleasing.


Egg yolks to set the custard...


Luckily, the whites can then be transformed into the meringue. Here's the finished pie, unbaked...


And a random picture of the corner of my mother's table...


A few minutes in the oven for the meringue, and voila! Pie...


Looks good, no?  Maybe I'll let you know, after I have a piece tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment